I just got my hands on Jeremy Moskowitz (fellow Group Policy MVP) latest publication called “Group Policy – Fundamentals Security and the Managed Desktop” and as I found it to be a really great book for Group Policy I decided to do a review. This is an updated version of Jeremy previous Group Policy books that has been updated to cover the new Windows 7 and Windows Server 2003 R2 features but of course is still covers the stubbornly popular Windows XP. In read this book it quite apparent that Jeremy bring his experience to this book as it is full of many insightful real world examples and notes. What’s also refreshing about this book (unlike MSPress books) is that its covers solutions using both native tools and third-party tools.
- Chapter 1 – Group Policy Essentials
- Chapter 2 – Managing Group Policy with GPMC
- Chapter 3 – Group Policy Processing Behaviour Essentials
- Chapter 4 – Advanced Group Policy Processing
- Chapter 5 – Group Policy Preferences
- Chapter 6 – Managing Applications and Setting Using Group Policy
- Chapter 7 – Troubleshooting Security with Group Policy
- Chapter 8 – Implementing Security with Group Policy
- Chapter 9 – Profiles: Local, Roaming, and Mandatory
- Chapter 10 – Implementing a Managed Desktop, Part 1: Redirected Folders, Offline Files, and the Synchronization Manager
- Chapter 11 – The Managed Desktop, Part 2: Software Deployment via Group Policy
- Chapter 12 – Finishing Touches with Group Policy: Scripts, Internet Explorer, Hardware Control, Deploying Printers, and Shadow Copies
- Appendix A – Group Policy Tools
The only bad thing I can say about this book is that it over 800 pages so its fairly heavy to keep on your person all the time BUT it also comes in digital format so you download it for your Kindle or for your iPad. Weather you are a novice or expert I thoroughly recommend that you purchase this book for your technical reference library as its a both a great primer beginners and and excellent references for the more advanced policy administrators. If your still not sure you can also click on the image above you can take a look an example chapter.