So I am stuck in hospital for the new few days (I’m fine) but luckily I have my laptop with so I am going to watch more of the BUILD sessions videos to see what titbits I can find out about Windows 8.
If you have not already read my other post about what it new in Windows 8 then also check out What is new in Windows 8
Here we goâ€¦
- On 3G devices network operators will be able to have their own Metro style app automatically deployed to allow users to purchase, top-up and check their network usage.
- WiFi direct will work with Network Virtualisation so you will be able to pair with a device and with an access point at the same time..
- Devices will be able to establish WiFi direct connections using the proximity sensorâ€¦ So just tap two device together and they will be paired..
- Windows Update will change its behaviour based on the network you are connected. Down not download updates via â€œcostedâ€ (i.e. 3G) network connection.
- You can prevent dual homing of a computer via Group Policy (e.g. turn off WiFi when connected to Ethernet)
- Windows 8 can be notified about usage plan alerts via SMS messages from the network carrier. It then intercepts and parses these SMSâ€™s and displays the information to the use in the carriers Metro app.
- Windows 8 will have a class (standard) driver for 3G devicesâ€¦. If the device firmware is class driver compliant then you will not need to install a third-party driver to make the device to work.
- WiFi Auto Power saveâ€¦ This has been moved to the device and therefore has less power overheadâ€¦
- WiFi will now connect to the network in about 1 seconds when resuming from sleep. Down from about 8 or 9 seconds from Windows 7.
- WiFi device will be responsible to look for network patterns that are Push Notification for that computer. If it finds something it will then wake up Windows 8 to action the incoming notification.
- Windows will go out and download printer drivers for printers that have Metro style drivers published on the App Store.
- Windows 8 will automatically install any printers on your home network. But is still controlled on a corporate network.
- You can play and HTML5 Video, HTML 5 Audio and Photos to a Play To device e.g. TV.
- NFC enabled devices can be used to share information such as interesting web sitesâ€¦
- Will support (at least) 640 Logical Processors
- Will support (at least) 4tb RAM
- Virtualisation Support Stats
- 160 Logical Processors
- 1024 Active VMâ€™s
- 32 Virtual Processors per VM
- 1024 Virtual Processors per Host
- 512gb per VM
- 2TB Ram per host
- NUMA support will work within a Virtual Guest
- 25% performance improvement on file servers
- Remote FX now support WAN, USB and Multitouch